Adding a image over Aurora or defining an indexed color layer

Hi there, I’m new to Ardunio and this forum so be gentle and detailed :slight_smile:

I want to display a large red cross (+) like a first aid symbol over the animations provided by Aurora. (probably 16x16 pixles)

I am using a teensy 3.2 and a smartmatrix shield running Aurora on a 32x32 matrix.

I have tried setting a message with the fonts set to off but all of the available fonts are too small so whilst successful… not delivering the outcome I desire.

Thus I believe I either need to somehow add a larger font, add a gif layer or somehow create an indexed colour layer… none of which i know how to do.

I believe this is best targeted @evilgeniuslabs

Hey, sorry for the delayed response. I don’t know of any way to do this with the options included in Aurora, but should be fairly simple to implement with a few code changes. Do you want this cross to always show over animated gifs?

Thank you for getting back to me and no need to appologise for delay I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

In an ideal world it would be great to be able to switch between the cross and scrolling text… Thus I wondered if it was possible to simply add a much larger font to the equation and then just using the ‘+’ symbol but i do not know how the fonts work or where they are packaged. is there a thread on this that you have encountered?

that said though simply having the cross always on top would suffice… ideally with the Aurora underlay rather then an animated GIF as it is fantastic. :slight_smile:

thanks again for your help

oh… I think the cross would probably be 18 pixels high/wide 6 pixels thick, centered, but if it was to be a font it would need to be much bigger as the ‘+’ is generally about 1/3 the size of a uppercase character

Hi Judd, unfortunately right now fonts in SmartMatrix are limited to 8 pixels wide. There’s an open issue to improve this, but it won’t be coming anytime soon.

I think the SmartMatrix library supports multiple indexed layers, right @Louis? Like the MultipleTextLayers example? SmartMatrix/MultipleTextLayers.ino at master · pixelmatix/SmartMatrix · GitHub

If so, this should be pretty easy to add. I can try to take a look soon, if it’s not something you’re comfortable trying yourself, @DiscoJudd.

Yes, you should be able to add an extra indexed layer on top. I don’t recall trying this myself though

Thanks lads, I’m off for a couple of weeks but I will take a look when I get back…