Pinball DMD Frames

Are there any examples of displaying raw monochrome DMD frames as generated by WPC and early Stern pinball machines? Currently, I have written some code to drive a physical DMD from the GPIO pins of a Raspberry Pi from the pinmame emulator, but I am exploring the idea of using an 128x32 RGB matrix in place of the original. It’s cheaper and easier to source, and I would have more control over brightness, color, etc.

I found this with Google, not sure if it’s what you’re looking for: How to configure a “SmartMatrix” RGB LED DMD — Mission Pinball Framework v0.57 User Documentation documentation

@pinballsp is an active user on the forum and from his username and seeing him in posting in another pinball message board makes me think he may be able to point you in the right direction

Well, that is actually what brought me to this page :slight_smile:
I’m working on two projects right now. One is a brand new pinball machine, and the techniques described in the MPF page work for that one. However, I am also recreating a 90’s DMD pinball machine called Scared Stiff using an emulator to run the ROMs, and for that, I am pulling the data from a set of 3 arrays which each describe a monochromatic bitmap with 3 subframes. The more often a particular pixel is lit in the subframes, the brighter that pixel is in the final image. Thus, you can have 4 shades per pixel.
Using the SmartLED board, I would need to receive each subframe and then calculate the final image value. Not hard, but if someone has already attempted the work, I’d rather not reinvent the wheel.

In case it is unclear, this is a video of a Pi running the ROM emulator and drawing out to a monochrome 128x32 DMD: Pinmame DMD almost finished - YouTube
This is the part that I’m asking about. If no one else has done something like this, I’ll work on it when I have some time and post my results.

Did you check RPI2DMD ? RPI2DMD OFFICIAL LINK ↓↓↓ TUTORIAL DmdClock 8000 Animations -RPI2DMD ↓↓↓ LINK DIY ↓↓↓ (Long version) - YouTube
Tutorial are available to build it on Internet. I’m waiting the the part to build mine