Randomisation of modes

I am sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else, I tried searching for it and came up blank. I was hoping there was a way for the modes (e.g. animations, sound activation, patterns) to be randomised themselves. I have made a project with the smartmatrix and I used a mic level to line level amplifier so that ambient sound can be picked up through a mic. I love the sound activation, but i also love the patterns and animated GIF’s, but due to the orientation of the project manually switching on a regular basis is not practical.

All I am looking for (lol “All”) is maybe a predetermined time, say 5 min that displays one mode then switches to the next on the list, doesn’t even have to be random. That being said it would also be nice if the random within the modes could also stay active, I have 150 animated GIF’s, and it would be a shame if every time it switched to the animations mode it started out on the first GIF in the list. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I’m not sure if this is something built in to Aurora or if it can be easily added, but I think it’s a good idea. Maybe @Jason can let us know, and if it’s not an option now, we can put it in the feature list.

Thank you for the response :slight_smile:

I was more or less wondering if it would be an easy thing, not to try and rush anyone. I will be attending a festival this coming weekend and another in august.

I designed and 3d printed a backpack with hexagons covered in a foam diffuser and 8 ws2812b rgb leds in each segment. In the top center is a 5" x 5" display powered by the smartmatrix. Everything is battery powered and as I had said before the sound activated mode is run off of a mic level to line level amp so that a microphone can be used to pick up the music.

I was really hoping that this had already been addressed, lol.

Just Thought I would Show it off :slight_smile:

Cool looking pack, thanks for posting the video!

What’s driving the WS2812s? If you’re using FastLED, you should post this in their community, I’m sure people there would love to see it.

Have you thought about making a 3d printed diffuser for SmartMatrix so it matches with the rest of the pack?

Thanks Louis. Yes the backpack is driven by an arduino nano and running FastLED, I have already shamelessly posted there as well, lol. The 3d printed diffuser is a fantastic idea, but with the ridiculous 18650 battery pack I designed for both the helmets and the backpacks, weight is already a bit at the limits.

I made a 20 cell 18650 pack with a dc-dc converter 8A, then a magnetic connector to the helmet with a small relay switched backup system in the helmet for quick showcasing to anyone wanting to check it out or try it on :slight_smile:

After all of the dust has settled I am thinking about redesigning the backpack, mostly to reduce weight, and to have less messing around with the table saw and sander and whatnot, then a 3d printed diffuser would probably be better i would think for structural purposes.

Hi! Amazing work! Would you mind sharing which mic level to line level amp you used? Thanks!!

I tried searching the forum but didn’t find anything obvious, just wondering if this ever came to fruition?

Sorry, no. Aurora isn’t being actively worked on right now. I did log this feature request: Feature Request: Randomization of Modes · Issue #37 · pixelmatix/aurora · GitHub