Aurora & teensy 4.1 & Smartmatrix v5

Hi pixel mates !
I’ve just bought a teensy 4.1 and the SmartLed shield (v5) from pixelmatix.
Aurora seems a very nice project, but it has been developped for Teensy 3.1.
After a whole night compiling again and again my teensy, I could finally make it work !! I share what I’ve done :

Now I get the welcome display (“Patterns…”) when SD card is not present (sdAvailable = SD.begin(SD_CARD_CS); <0), but the teensy crashes when the SD card is present…Any idea ?

Thanks !

Seb

1 Like

Seems to be linked to these files which are missing …

enableAudioPatterns = loadByteSetting("enaudpat.txt", 1) > 0;
menuItemGames.visible = loadByteSetting("gamesvis.txt", 1) > 0;

[…]
Any idea where to find those ?

I don’t know, but I looked at the code and it seems like it should use a default value and not crash if the file can’t be found.

What resolution are you running. The Teensy 4 allows for larger resolution but Aurora is using an old GIF decoding library which may fail with large resolutions

Hi Louis,
I tried with 128x64, and also with 32x32, following your answer…
Same behavior…
I was maybe thinking of a wrong access to SD card, in read only maybe…so the file can’t be created…
Will investigate later.
Thanks for your support !

#define COLOR_DEPTH 24                  // known working: 24, 48 - If the sketch uses type `rgb24` directly, COLOR_DEPTH must be 24
const uint8_t kMatrixWidth = 32;        // known working: 32, 64, 96, 128
const uint8_t kMatrixHeight = 32;       // known working: 16, 32, 48, 64
const uint8_t kRefreshDepth = 36;       // known working: 24, 36, 48
const uint8_t kDmaBufferRows = 2;       // known working: 2-4, use 2 to save memory, more to keep from dropping frames and automatically lowering refresh rate
const uint8_t kPanelType = SM_PANELTYPE_HUB75_32ROW_MOD16SCAN;  // Choose the configuration that matches your panels.  See more details in MatrixCommonHub75.h and the docs: https://github.com/pixelmatix/SmartMatrix/wiki
const uint8_t kMatrixOptions = (SMARTMATRIX_OPTIONS_NONE);      // see http://docs.pixelmatix.com/SmartMatrix for options
const uint8_t kBackgroundLayerOptions = (SM_BACKGROUND_OPTIONS_NONE);
const uint8_t kScrollingLayerOptions = (SM_SCROLLING_OPTIONS_NONE);
const uint8_t kIndexedLayerOptions = (SM_INDEXED_OPTIONS_NONE);

The SD library used by Teensyduino has changed a lot since Aurora was last maintained, so could be an incompatibility there too.

Allright, Will probably resign in adapting it to teensy 4.1…
Thanks !

Hi Sebbie47,

does the audio visualiser work too on your modified workaround?

cheers

Hi, I haven’t tested as I don’t have the EQ Breakout Board, I’m just stuck at the first screen, but it seems nothing won’t load from my SD card, due to library incompatibilities…

Hey @sebbie47 I’m a ling time user of the OG smartmatrix and just purchased a Teensy 4, the v5 SmartLED shield and a 64x64 matrix, and, just like you, discovered nothing compiles :-/

Where did you get to with making this work?

I’m currently fighting with SmartMatrix_Impl.h:37:30: error: 'F_BUS' was not declared in this scope #define TIMER_FREQUENCY (F_BUS/2)

Ciao

HSIBOY