Bitmap background

Hi Guys’

I have a simple shaped bitmap i want to display on the background layer. When i display it im getting the background portion of the bitmap. So i display a 32x32 bitmap with a circle shape and i get the colored circle but also the black background it was on or white or whatever color the bitmap was on…

How do i display a bitmap without the background of that bitmap? or can i choose what part of the background is shown and what is not say like leaving a one pixel black background boarder all around the actual image i want displayed?

Thanks
Daniel

Are you starting from the Bitmaps example? There is no support for transparency in bitmaps. There’s also no support for transparency in the background layer.

You could choose a specific color or range of colors that you don’t draw to the background layer. e.g. to not draw black to the background layer, change this code:

backgroundLayer.drawPixel(x + j, y + i, pixel);

to this:

if(pixel.red != 0x00 || pixel.green != 0x00 || pixel.green != 0x00) backgroundLayer.drawPixel(x + j, y + i, pixel);

A better way to do this in the future would be to add support for transparent graphical layers to SmartMatrix, and use an image format that supports transparency (e.g. GIF). A transparent graphical layer is pretty low on my list of priorities right now, so hopefully the workaround works for you.

Thanks Louis, yes i started from the example… Ill try your workaround thanks for that…

Workaround works like a charm, thanks Louis

1 Like