Building Fadecandy Server with SmartMatrix Support

So I have been poking at these fadecandy ports for several months on and off now.
I can’t get the fadecandy server to find either a teensy4 with v5 shield or a teensy3.2 with a shield meant for a 3.1 teensy. Either combination works fine as is, once I get them configured. I have been trying to build the server for ubuntu, and keep getting some libudev errors [iirc]. Any advice getting this up and running on a system that isn’t a mac? Thanks :smiley:

[I meant to reply to this post so deleted the other one]

Hi Maddie,

I can’t get the fadecandy server to find either a teensy4 with v5 shield or a teensy3.2 with a shield meant for a 3.1 teensy.

Are you using the modified Fadecandy Server that has support for SmartMatrix?

Either combination works fine as is, once I get them configured

I don’t know what you mean by this

I have been trying to build the server for ubuntu, and keep getting some libudev errors [iirc]

Can you build the normal Fadecandy server? If you post what you’ve tried and the result, maybe I can give feedback, but I don’t typically use Linux and haven’t tried compiling so I have no advice out of the gate

heya!

I am using this one.
I am abe to get the T3.2 and T4 working with the couple of panels I have, is what I meant.

I will try and build the regular fadecandyserver and post output of both here.
The regular FCserver built just fine under ubuntu…

Sorry if it was not clear, I updated my other post to say that I could build the fadecandy normal server on linux.

Trying again in windows. I push the Fadecandy_T4 to a Teensy 4.0, and ran the fcserver.exe Teensy4.json in a admin terminal, still doesnt see it. The T4 shows up with dual serial in Arduino, vs one, so I know it pushed properly…

I made a new thread as this was getting off topic for the general Teensy 4 thread.

Are you able to build this modified Fadecandy Server in Windows? (The normal Fadecandy Server, or any precompiled binaries you might find won’t have the SmartMatrix modifications)

On windows with the cmake gui 3.21.0
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:171 (add_subdirectory):
The source directory

S:/PERSONAL MISC/PERSONAL PROJECTS/64x64 led/FADECANDY/WINDOWS SERVER/fadecandy-master/fadecandy-master/server/libwebsockets

does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

edit: found this [libwebsockets] Update dependency by NancyLi1013 · Pull Request #17253 · microsoft/vcpkg · GitHub

Gonna try to reinstall vs.

I was looking through your repo and I was not sure exactly you were up to in order to incorporate support. Sometimes cs stuff gets lost on me, as I do code, but I am more of a hardware nut - thats why this is fascinating to me. I like learning about this, its just a little up there for me since fadecandy is a established piece of software.

Maybe if you could outline for me, I could try to get that working in these other build environments?

I am able to see the teensy but not in the fadecandy server, and iirc the teensy in arduino ide said something about fadecandy after I flashed it. So I know it took. I was triple checking my usb cables and using diff (2.0/3.0) cabling also. No dice :

Maybe if you could outline for me, I could try to get that working in these other build environments?

You can see what’s changed by looking at the commit history, or doing a diff focusing on the makefile differences between the two repos

https://github.com/scanlime/fadecandy/compare/master...pixelmatix:master

(look at files changed tab)

thank you! I was thinking about this when I left to go skate today, and was like “I could probably just diff on the repos and that would show me” … Thanks for pointing that out.