Feature demo crashes or hangs

I’m trying to get setup with the SmartMatrix Library and I’m getting a runtime issue when running the FeatureDemo. I put statements into the demo to blink the LED, and I can tell that the code never passes the line
matrix.begin();
It is either crashing or hanging at this line.

Here is the header portion of my code that I setup to use the SmartMatrix shield for Teensy 4.1:

#define USE_ADAFRUIT_GFX_LAYERS

// uncomment one line to select your MatrixHardware configuration - configuration header needs to be included before <SmartMatrix.h>
//#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy3_ShieldV4.h>        // SmartLED Shield for Teensy 3 (V4)
#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy4_ShieldV5.h>        // SmartLED Shield for Teensy 4 (V5)
//#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy3_ShieldV1toV3.h>    // SmartMatrix Shield for Teensy 3 V1-V3
//#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy4_ShieldV4Adapter.h> // Teensy 4 Adapter attached to SmartLED Shield for Teensy 3 (V4)
//#include <MatrixHardware_ESP32_V0.h>                // This file contains multiple ESP32 hardware configurations, edit the file to define GPIOPINOUT (or add #define GPIOPINOUT with a hardcoded number before this #include)
//#include "MatrixHardware_Custom.h"                  // Copy an existing MatrixHardware file to your Sketch directory, rename, customize, and you can include it like this
#include <SmartMatrix.h>

And here is the setup function:

// the setup() method runs once, when the sketch starts
void setup() {
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
  delay(500);
  Serial.begin(115200);

delay(500);
  delay(500);

matrix.addLayer(&backgroundLayer); 
  matrix.addLayer(&scrollingLayer); 
  matrix.addLayer(&indexedLayer); 

delay(500);
  delay(500);

matrix.begin();

delay(500);
  delay(500);

matrix.setBrightness(defaultBrightness);
  scrollingLayer.setOffsetFromTop(defaultScrollOffset);
  backgroundLayer.enableColorCorrection(true);
}

The LED blinks only 3 times, so I know it never passes matrix.begin();

I ran this code on two brand new Teensy 4.1’s with the same results, and both are able to run other projects like the blink example, so it’s not the boards.

Please paste the whole sketch, or at least the config part of the sketch.

Do any of the examples work with the same config you’re trying to use?

Here’s the entire thing up to the setup portion:

/*
  SmartMatrix Features Demo - Louis Beaudoin (Pixelmatix)
  This example code is released into the public domain

(New in SmartMatrix Library 4.0) To update a SmartMatrix Library sketch to use Adafruit_GFX compatible layers:

- Make sure you have the Adafruit_GFX Library installed in Arduino (you can use Arduino Library Manager)
  - add `#define USE_ADAFRUIT_GFX_LAYERS` at top of sketch (this is needed for any sketch to tell SmartMatrix Library that Adafruit_GFX is present, not just this sketch)
    - Add this *before* #include <SmartMatrix.h>
    - Check the documentation Wiki for more details on why you may or may not want to use these layers
*/

#define USE_ADAFRUIT_GFX_LAYERS

// uncomment one line to select your MatrixHardware configuration - configuration header needs to be included before <SmartMatrix.h>
//#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy3_ShieldV4.h>        // SmartLED Shield for Teensy 3 (V4)
#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy4_ShieldV5.h>        // SmartLED Shield for Teensy 4 (V5)
//#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy3_ShieldV1toV3.h>    // SmartMatrix Shield for Teensy 3 V1-V3
//#include <MatrixHardware_Teensy4_ShieldV4Adapter.h> // Teensy 4 Adapter attached to SmartLED Shield for Teensy 3 (V4)
//#include <MatrixHardware_ESP32_V0.h>                // This file contains multiple ESP32 hardware configurations, edit the file to define GPIOPINOUT (or add #define GPIOPINOUT with a hardcoded number before this #include)
//#include "MatrixHardware_Custom.h"                  // Copy an existing MatrixHardware file to your Sketch directory, rename, customize, and you can include it like this
#include <SmartMatrix.h>

#define COLOR_DEPTH 24                  // Choose the color depth used for storing pixels in the layers: 24 or 48 (24 is good for most sketches - If the sketch uses type `rgb24` directly, COLOR_DEPTH must be 24)
const uint16_t kMatrixWidth = 32;       // Set to the width of your display, must be a multiple of 8
const uint16_t kMatrixHeight = 32;      // Set to the height of your display
const uint8_t kRefreshDepth = 36;       // Tradeoff of color quality vs refresh rate, max brightness, and RAM usage.  36 is typically good, drop down to 24 if you need to.  On Teensy, multiples of 3, up to 48: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 45, 48.  On ESP32: 24, 36, 48
const uint8_t kDmaBufferRows = 4;       // known working: 2-4, use 2 to save RAM, more to keep from dropping frames and automatically lowering refresh rate.  (This isn't used on ESP32, leave as default)
const uint8_t kPanelType = SM_PANELTYPE_HUB75_32ROW_MOD16SCAN;   // Choose the configuration that matches your panels.  See more details in MatrixCommonHub75.h and the docs: https://github.com/pixelmatix/SmartMatrix/wiki
const uint32_t kMatrixOptions = (SM_HUB75_OPTIONS_NONE);        // see docs for options: https://github.com/pixelmatix/SmartMatrix/wiki
const uint8_t kBackgroundLayerOptions = (SM_BACKGROUND_OPTIONS_NONE);
const uint8_t kScrollingLayerOptions = (SM_SCROLLING_OPTIONS_NONE);
const uint8_t kIndexedLayerOptions = (SM_INDEXED_OPTIONS_NONE);

SMARTMATRIX_ALLOCATE_BUFFERS(matrix, kMatrixWidth, kMatrixHeight, kRefreshDepth, kDmaBufferRows, kPanelType, kMatrixOptions);

SMARTMATRIX_ALLOCATE_BACKGROUND_LAYER(backgroundLayer, kMatrixWidth, kMatrixHeight, COLOR_DEPTH, kBackgroundLayerOptions);

#ifdef USE_ADAFRUIT_GFX_LAYERS
  // there's not enough allocated memory to hold the long strings used by this sketch by default, this increases the memory, but it may not be large enough
  SMARTMATRIX_ALLOCATE_GFX_MONO_LAYER(scrollingLayer, kMatrixWidth, kMatrixHeight, 6*1024, 1, COLOR_DEPTH, kScrollingLayerOptions);
#else
  SMARTMATRIX_ALLOCATE_SCROLLING_LAYER(scrollingLayer, kMatrixWidth, kMatrixHeight, COLOR_DEPTH, kScrollingLayerOptions);
#endif

SMARTMATRIX_ALLOCATE_INDEXED_LAYER(indexedLayer, kMatrixWidth, kMatrixHeight, COLOR_DEPTH, kIndexedLayerOptions);

#include "colorwheel.c"
#include "gimpbitmap.h"

const int defaultBrightness = (100*255)/100;        // full (100%) brightness
//const int defaultBrightness = (15*255)/100;       // dim: 15% brightness
const int defaultScrollOffset = 6;
const rgb24 defaultBackgroundColor = {0x40, 0, 0};

// Teensy 3.0 has the LED on pin 13
const int ledPin = 13;

void drawBitmap(int16_t x, int16_t y, const gimp32x32bitmap* bitmap) {
  for(unsigned int i=0; i < bitmap->height; i++) {
    for(unsigned int j=0; j < bitmap->width; j++) {
      rgb24 pixel = { bitmap->pixel_data[(i*bitmap->width + j)*3 + 0],
                      bitmap->pixel_data[(i*bitmap->width + j)*3 + 1],
                      bitmap->pixel_data[(i*bitmap->width + j)*3 + 2] };

backgroundLayer.drawPixel(x + j, y + i, pixel);
    }
  }
}

// the setup() method runs once, when the sketch starts
void setup() {
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

delay(500);
  delay(500);
  Serial.begin(115200);

delay(500);
  delay(500);

matrix.addLayer(&backgroundLayer); 
  matrix.addLayer(&scrollingLayer); 
  matrix.addLayer(&indexedLayer); 

delay(500);
  delay(500);

matrix.begin();

delay(500);
  delay(500);

matrix.setBrightness(defaultBrightness);

scrollingLayer.setOffsetFromTop(defaultScrollOffset);

backgroundLayer.enableColorCorrection(true);
}

I can’t fit the rest within the character limit of one post.
This is the only example I tried because the instructions I was using said to try the FeatureDemo first. Is there another one you suggest trying instead?

I just compiled FeatureDemo for my Teensy 4.1, with USE_ADAFRUIT_GFX_LAYERS defined, using Arduino 1.8.13 with Teensyduino 1.53. It works fine.

Can you enable “show verbose output during: compilation” in preferences, and copy and paste the compilation output? I use gist.github.com if there’s not enough space in the post limit.

Thanks a lot for looking into this! I’m also using Arduino 1.8.13 and installed the SmartMatrix library from the library manager. Here’s the output:

What have you changed in Featuredemo besides what you posted above? I see Compiling library "Adafruit_BusIO" in the output, which isn’t required by Featuredemo.

Hmm… I updated AdafruitGFX to the latest (same as you have) and now I see BusIO. I wonder if that’s the problem…

I won’t be able to respond until tomorrow

Here’s the exact code I’m running:

Try downgrading Adafruit GFX to 1.10.3, that’s what I was using successfully. Or uncomment #define USE_ADAFRUIT_GFX_LAYERS at the top

I just tried both of those things and had the same behavior as before

Can you try your code without the SmartLED Shield attached, and see if it gets past matrix.begin()?

Yes, I have it dettached. The only thing from the instructions I didn’t do it cut the lead that separated the USB power from Vin, could that be it?

There’s no AdafruitGFX issue, that was a mistake on my end.

The LED pin on the Teensy 4 conflicts with SmartMatrix Library. Once you call matrix.begin(), pin 13 isn’t available for driving directly with digitalWrite. You’ll have to toggle another pin that’s unused by SmartMatrix Library, and add an LED or something else to see the state change.

I should update Featuredemo to make that clear.

You could also try printing to serial to see if the sketch is working.

I do have to sign off, I’ll check back in tomorrow

1 Like

Wow, thanks a lot, that did work.