Half broken panel or misconfigured?


#1

I dusted off my Aurora that previously worked fine a year or so ago, and now only the top half of the display is lighting up. I’m using the “smartmatrix32x32.json” configuration file (1024 pixels) with “type” changed to “fadecandy”. Am I doing something wrong?

{
    "listen": [null, 7890],
    "verbose": true,

    "color": {
        "gamma": 2.5,
        "whitepoint": [1.0, 1.0, 1.0]
    },

    "devices": [
        {
            "type": "fadecandy",
            "map": [
                [ 0, 0, 0, 1024 ]
            ]
        }
    ]
}

#2

It’s likely not a hardware issue. You need to use a modified Fadecandy fcserver that can send 1024 pixels at a time. You can find compiled versions here:

I have an updated version of the Fadecandy firmware port and matching firmware. It’s close to done, should work, but isn’t documented well.

Here’s the firmware that you can compile with Arduino and Teensyduino. The /bin folder is out of date: https://github.com/pixelmatix/SmartMatrix_Fadecandy

Here’s the corresponding server: https://github.com/pixelmatix/fadecandy


#3

The new server is not compatible with the old firmware by the way (and vice versa). You will also need to use a new configuration file, as the new server/firmware define a new device type “smartmatrix” instead of using a hacked version of the “fadecandy” device. There are examples included.


#4

Ok thanks. I think I was using the fcserver I built from the “smartmatrix” branch, which detected my SmartMatrix as a “fadecandy” device, which is why I changed type to “fadecandy”.

I’ll try the “old” branch when I get home.