We setup a GIF wall at our museum using the SmartMatrix Animated GIF Player tutorial.
There are 16 individual panels each with:
- Teensy 3.1
- SmartMatrix Shield (the older one)
- 32x32 RGB LED panel
- Groups of 4 panels have their power wired in series to one power supply.
The wall has been installed for over a year and we have had minor issues in that time, mostly with MicroSD cards corrupting (an easy fix). Recently we have had more significant issues that are puzzling.
- GIFs will freeze after a few hours. A power cycle fixes this.
- We have a few panels that will not display GIFs, either immediately after power-on, or after a few hours.There is no error message, just a blank screen. Other panels with the same GIFs will be displaying correctly.
- Why would a panel suddenly stop displaying GIFs?
- Is there an issue with the GIFs that would cause them to freeze at a random point?
- Has anyone else had similar issues with setups that are running 24/7?