First of all, I am very VERY VERY new to this stuff so please forgive my ignorance. When explaining stuff to me, please imagine you are talking to a 5 year old. Long story short, my mom is graduating and I thought it would be great to make her an LED graduation cap. I am outlining the steps I am planning on taking and would like some input.
The guides I have looked at thus far include (but not limited to):
I have bought these items thus far:
- 32 x 32 RGB LED matrix - 6mm (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1484)
- Teensy 3.2 (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2756)
- SmartMatrix SmartLED Shield (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1902)
STEP 1: Assembling the stuff together
- Put pins into SmartMatrix (See photos below)
- Attach teensy to SmartMatrix (See photos below)
- Solder pins onto SmartMatrix
- Attach 2x10 pins from SmartMatrix to 2x8 pins on LED matrix (it says input Hub75D).
- HELP: On the adafruit tutorial, they show assembling an SD card reader to the SmartMatrix. Can anyone point me the towards the right direction to do this? I am basically wondering which pins to attach the SD card reader to the SmartMatrix.
STEP 2: Powering the assembly
I am very confused on how to power this assembly. Ideally, I am looking to power this assembly via portable USB power supply. Any input would be highly appreciated here. Again, when explaining anything to me, please imagine I am a 5 year old.
STEP 3: Installing Software
- Download Arduino 1.0.5 or 1.0.6, Teensyduino, SmartMatrix Library
- After getting the assembly, try loading up the example file and running a gif. I’ll do more research after the assembly is running.
For now, I am basically looking to assemble this thing. More questions to come after I progress with this.