So along with a small spark on the plug, my SmartMatrix gets really hot when I plug my power supply into the wall however since I am a beginner in electronics/circuitry this may be normal based on my current setup. The wires I use are verified by a meter to be 5v (not 12v). I will provide images of what I have:
Initially I thought I was not grounding but based in this image my wiring is correct
It should be noted that I am not (yet) using a microcontroller with the SmartMatrix and I am not sure if this activity is normal if using only the LED + SmartMatrix + power supply. I suspect that could be a reason for the overheating but I am not sure. Any tips or constructive criticism is appreciated. Please let me know if other information is needed.