Teensy 4.1 / Blank screen

I have a Teensy 4.1 that appears to be in working order. I can compile, download and run samples just fine. The panels that I have are P4 64X32 and when I test them on a colorlight receiving card, they work. When I attach any of them to the Smartled shield I get nothing. I uncommented the code for the matrix hardware I’m using and it compiles and runs. The led will light up and do its thing while it moves through the code but I get nothing on the panel. I’m really struggling with this and I’m just not sure why. Any suggestions. I’m in a bit of a time crunch on this one. I’ve got to fix or find a replacement in no time.

You could just use the receiver card from something like computer or Pi. Do you need Teensy 4.1? What kind of receiver is it?

Hi, David. Does your LED module scan 2 rows at a time or 4 (16S or 8S)? It should say on the silkscreen on the back of the LED module.

Yes… 8S is written on mine.

Looks like it was a bad component though. I bought another shield and I have light now at least. I just need to workout the setting but I don’t think that will be too big of an issue.

Glad you’re making progress. What do you have kPanelType set to in your sketch?

Me too, I thought I was going nuts. I’ve been trying them all. I haven’t found anything that quite matches up. I have the P4-1921-8S-V2 panels

Haha, you are going crazy, because you have an “outdoor” LED module, which scans 4 lines at a time. The typical indoor modules only scan two lines at a time, and most of the SmartMatrix predefined kPanelTypes are intended for the indoor panels.

I also use outdoor panels (64x64), because I like the added brightness they offer. But it took me a LONG time to finally figure out the scan pattern, so that I could roll that into the SmartMatrix code. Louis added it a few months ago as SM_PANELTYPE_HUB75_64ROW_64COL_MOD16SCAN.

If you’re not seeing anything meaningful on the display, I would bet money that the problem is not having the correct kPanelType. You could try the type I show above, if you haven’t already.

Since you said you’ve tried them all, I am assuming you have tried SMARTMATRIX_HUB75_16ROW_32COL_MOD4SCAN and SMARTMATRIX_HUB75_16ROW_32COL_MOD4SCAN_V2. Either of those two should at least get proper frame refresh timing set up (in theory).