Ultimate Mandala by Stefan Petrick

I really admire this programmer from Germany named Stefan Petrick and he got back to me regarding his YouTube video “Ultimate Mandala” (Arduino, Teensy). The Arduino codes, “Funky Clouds” and “Funky Noise” upload onto the Teensy just fine of course, but they don’t run. What I’m asking is this: Has anyone here furthered this code and made it work on the Teensy/SmartMatrix combo? Stefan told me that by tweaking his code a bit I should get similar results but I’ve yet to accomplish this daunting feat. Thank you for reading.

Short answer is yes

Will try and send longer reply later, but see arduino/Products/Tile at master · netmindz/arduino · GitHub

Thank you netmindz for your lead in helping me find what I’m seeking. Can’t wait to discover what gems you have to reveal to my search.
Merry Christmas,
Fred Olivas

1 Like

February starts tomorrow and am wondering if you might impart some Mandala wisdom towards me.

Hi there,
I’ts mid February and I now have a HUB75 64x64 LED display board and a SmartLED Shield for Teensy 3 v4.1. I’ve downloaded the code you suggested from GitHub but don’t know how to make it work on my setup. For example: PIN 7 is called for (assuming I’m using an Arduino) but I’m using a Teensyduino 3.2 chip. This is confusing. Can you please guide me towards what I’m trying to build: The Ultimate Mandala
Thank you

Another interesting and confusing point: Not all HUB75 LED panels are created equal!!
This line in the Arduino IDE SmartMatrix code states:

const uint8_t kPanelType = SM_PANELTYPE_HUB75_64ROW_MOD16SCAN; // Choose the configuration that matches your panels. See more details in MatrixCommonHub75.h and the docs: Home · pixelmatix/SmartMatrix Wiki · GitHub
const uint32_t kMatrixOptions = (SM_HUB75_OPTIONS_NONE); // see docs for options: Home · pixelmatix/SmartMatrix Wiki · GitHub

Huh? My panel has this identifying mark: P3(2121)64X64-32S-M5.1
Which is to say that it’s a 64X64 LED HUB75 panel.
Anyway the point I’m trying to make is that nothing is working and I haven’t a clue as to why and I feel as if I have been reading until my eyes are about to fall out of my head.

Hi and thanks for the flowers! Guys, this ancient code is a mess, seriously. Don’t waste time on it. I had it running on a Teensy 3.2 back than, the framerate was not sufficient for my taste.

But good news is: I’m back at animation coding, had some cool ideas recently. So, new (and very likely better) stuff is coming and I might come here from time to time and ask you guys with the big panels to try some stuff out (my 32x32 is not up and running at the moment, but I’d love to see it on higher resolution anyway).

So, stay tuned. I want to see Teensy4 FPUs burning! :wink:

Meanwhile you might want to check out, what I’m working on lately. Cheers!

P.S. I’m not even sure if I ever shared the “Ultimate Mandala” source code except in private with some friends. But what I remember is that the code was so complex and poorly structured & written that it ended up being unreadable / unmaintainable - even for myself.

Rewriting it from scratch seems easier than trying to get this mayhem to run again. It was really a collection of bad coding style…

I have a HUB75 64x64 LED panel and two Teensy’s with proper shields. Teensy 3.1 and Teensy 4.1 and both are currently running the FastLED & SmartMatrix Demo quite nicely, thank you very much. I can’t hardly wait to try out what you’re creating.

Hey, this is great - if you have 5 minutes I’d appreciate you running some test code on the Teensy 4 + 64x64 and report back what the serial monitor says. Basically I’m kindly asking if I could have you as a beta tester before I publish the framework for everyone.

An additional short video would be fantastic. (Assuming that it runs without problems, fingers crossed.)

How can I send you the code? Any PM here? Reddit PM?

@everyone: If you happen to have a setup larger than 64x64 up and running and would be willing to try one short animation I’d appreciate a message from you, thank you!

edit: It even runs nicely on an ESP32 6000 LEDs, dual core usage with 20 fps :slight_smile: I’m surpised myself, that’s 53 kiloPixel/s render performance giving a lot of room for complex multi layer animations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oYzLN9C5bU